Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Twenty thousand hours of my life falling through my fingers



Recently I began shredding over ten years worth of pay stubs. Disposing of them was an interesting matter to say the least. Pay stub by pay stub, I watched over five hundred weeks of blood sweat and tears fall through the shredder blades. I destroyed them one by one, week by week to really capture the experience. It was like reliving different phases of my life through past employment. Over twenty thousand hours of my life falling through my fingers. I thought of all the things I had purchased over the years that aren’t anywhere to be seen. It was surreal to bear witness to all of the time we spend amassing stuff that doesn’t even exist anymore. A million things slaved for, passed through the sausage grinder and sent off into oblivion. Then my mind shifts to an ever growing world of six billion people doing the same thing over and over. So I have to stop and ask myself, “What is the point?” It all goes away in the end. No-thing lasts forever, yet we spend a lifetime wasting away for them.


I wonder why that is...


The best things in life are free. These experiences, all of the memories, every emotion and especially you, are the things that seems to me "to be" what really matters. I am blessed by your friendship! Namaste ~R~



No comments:

Post a Comment